Monday 23 February 2015

Spring has arrived

So this is my first official posting/offering to the world of craft blogs! I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed getting back in touch with paper, paints, inks, glue and all things messy. I decided to start off with a canvas as it felt like a sturdier base to begin my adventures with mixed media. I took my inspiration from the current challenge at Frilly and Funky which is 'winter blooms'.

To me there is nothing more magical than seeing the first of my bulbs, planted last summer, break through the frosted ground of late winter. In my garden these are always the snowdrops. Every year I am in awe over how these delicate little plants fight their way through the hard soil and survive the coldest of temperatures. They are the first sign that spring is on its way and they never fail to make me smile.





I first created texture using dry wall tape, corrugated card and fabric bandage. I then applied layers of colour using Lindy's Starburst sprays in 'Yellow Rose of Texas', 'Delphinium Turquoise' and 'Cosmopoliton Pink'. I also used Lindy's Moon Shadow Mist in 'Violaceous Violet'. I then built up the  'snow' using texture paste and added shimmer with Ranger Liquid Pearls in 'White Opal'.

I made the flowers using cartridge paper, cut by hand to shape, moulded when wet and dried in shape. I glued this to a central paper trumpet which was coloured on the edges using Ranger Liquid Pearls in 'Avocado' which I also used to colour the end of the wrapped wire where it joined the flower. The leaves were cut by hand and sprayed in Prima Colour Bloom spray in 'Lime Wedge' which is just the most gorgeous iridescent colour.  I finished the piece with Glossy Accents 'drips' to create the feeling of dew/rain thawing the cold of winter and aged the edges with Tim Holtz distress ink in 'Vintage Photo'.

Please excuse the photo but I was rushing to get it posted in time.

I would like to enter this in:

Frilly and Funky - Winter Blooms

Country View Crafts - Drips and Drops

Happy crafting everyone

B
X




8 comments:

  1. Hi hun, I think this amazing!! I love the colours and the texture is gorgeous... I'm so glad I've brought you over to the 'Craft-Side', (although I think your husband may want to shoot me :) ) I can't wait to see what you produce from here on out!! Huge Crafty Hugs, Georgie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lovely, you truly are my inspiration, hugs xx

      Delete
  2. Hello Becky,
    Well this is a gorgeous Canvas, with a striking palette; love the texture you have created. The flowers add a peaceful feeling to your flamboyant background;it works.
    Thank you for joining us this month at CVC.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue for your lovely comments :) I can't wait for the next CVC challenge! X

      Delete
  3. WOW Becky! LOVE the snowdrops adorning this beautiful canvas. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny :) I love what you guys create at F&F, you are such a talented bunch x

      Delete
  4. Welcome to blogging and sharing! You're off to a great start. What a stunning canvas. Your texture is awesome and the colors are stunning! Loving the flowers and wishing they were in my garden instead of all this snow! Thank you for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nicole, it took some guts to put this out there into the blogging world but everyone has been so lovely. Can't wait for more F&F challenges to inspire me x

      Delete